White Sands National Monument, NM

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Three Rivers Petroglyph Site (NM)

I have seen a lot of petroglyphs, but these were the most I have ever seen in such a small space.  This was a rugged hike uphill for about a mile.  Along the way, there were thousands of petroglyphs.  You can't possibly see them all because there are so many.  It was a beautiful day to enjoy being outside in New Mexico!

The Three Rivers Petroglyph site reveals the carvings of over 21,000 petroglyphs created by the Jornada Mogollon people between 900 and 1400 AD. The sheer number of petroglyphs along the Tularosa Basin’s basaltic ridge makes this site one of the largest and most profound in the Southwest. As you stroll along the trail, faced masks, wildlife, sunbursts, handprints, and various geometric shapes are seen etched into the rock’s surface. These etchings were made by chipping away at the dark outer layer of oxidized rock called the patina to reveal the lighter surface below.










 









 


 
The hike starts out slow enough . . .

 
. . . but, then it starts to go uphill in the rocks!




 
At the half-way mark on the trail, there is a little shaded cover - the shade was very welcomed!

 
I will reiterate, I wouldn't take a million dollars for my $12 hiking stick!

 
Resting in the shade.

 
 
 
There are things in life that I enjoy and like to see preserved for future generations (as do other people). But, unfortunately, I share space on this Earth with idiots like "Sam," who came to an ancient Indian site and decided to deface it by carving his own name in it (I am guessing that there were NO Indians named Sam).  What was the point of this?
 
 
Likewise, I doubt the Jornada Mogollon people used a "Peace" sign in their ancient carvings. It appears that this idiot used an existing symbol and carved the peace sign in the middle. I don't understand why people think they can deface what doesn't belong to them. I wish they would stay home and tear up their own stuff!