White Sands National Monument, NM

Saturday, April 13, 2013

White Sands National Monument

This is the second time I have visited here, and it just gets more beautiful.  Oh, sure, it's just sand, but very, very white, beautiful sand!!



 
Something slithered across the sand here.

 
 
Being that White Sands is on a missile range, there are sometimes fighter jets flying overhead.  We heard 3 very large BOOMS and looked up and saw this F-22 Raptor Fighter Plane.  That's a pretty cool thing to see!

 



 
If the animals and plants don't adapt to the conditions here, they will not survive.  This bleached earless lizard has evolved to the point where he is now white to blend in with the sand.  It was very rare that I saw this little guy out in the mid-day heat.  The majority of animals stay underground in the daytime to avoid the heat and predators.  He eventually ran into a hole to get away from me annoying him - I couldn't convince him that I meant no harm!


 
An ant carrying his lunch.

 
 






 
Sand, sand, and more sand!

 
 
This is what my hair looks like after a week in the desert!

 
Another fighter plane to the left of the yucca plant.


 
Yucca pods.

 
I love thse picnic shelters!!

 
GREAT lunch!

 
Life is good!!

 
 
This place is a photographer's dream!

 
A beautiful sunset to end a beautiful day!!